Saturday, March 30, 2013

Another travel day...

I am about to leave to catch the tram, which will take me to a train, which will take me to the Krakow airport.  From there I am off to Bologna, Italy.  Between packing and cleaning before I leave, I don't have much to report.  But I did want to share some pics and info about a cute little restaurant where I had lunch today at the recommendation of Joanna, my kind and knowledgeable host in Krakow. 

The restaurant is in Kazimierz, the old Jewish Quarter.  It's called Dawno Temu na Kazimierzu, which loosely translates as Once Upon a Time in Kazimierz.  It is in a building that once housed Jewish businesses such as a general store, a tailor, and a carpentry shop.  The owner has used the original signs and many of the original items found in the building to decorate the restaurant and promote the heritage of the area. 

Here are a few pictures...

This is the exterior, with the sign from Chajim Kohan's general store.  The wooden shutters are original.
 
This is the cozy interior, filled with interesting antiques from the original stores that were located here.

This old wood stove, decorated with the Star of David is beautiful.

These jackets are the handiwork of Czymon Kac, a tailor who owned a shop here.

A very old accordion and some tools hang in another corner.

The meal starts with matso crackers and a garlic dip.  The two dips to the left are for my pierogies, a traditional Polish dumpling.

And finally, my meat filled Polish pierogies.  They were delicious!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment